zikronix

Missed the swann system at costco This Lorex is coming

can you confirm that these cams can do the 4 tasks I mentioned though?

I have an old Panasonic IP cam now connected to my router... can do all of that except it is crappy quality and indoor. (plus side though, it has IR Vs video sensor for motion detection). Hence I seem to like the simplicity.

What extra things do you suggest VMS let you do (I can think of one: record 24x7 video so you can go back and look at any time and any day in the last week... but if motion activation works, I just don't see the value). BTW, this is for home use, not monitoring a warehouse for example...

Regarding the 4 tasks...read the manual for the HIKVision DS-2CD2032-I camera (apparently there is a single manual for many HIKVision cameras).

Regarding the capabilities of the VMS software I use...read the manual!

I hope I am not forking into a new topic, but many folks mentioned the NVR Vs. PC issue in this thread.

My question is: any of you tried just using the IP cams "as-is" with no NVR (PC or appliance).

Seems to me that you get a much simpler setup, no wasted energy (or fan noise) from the NVR, and you (at least I) get all the benefits I need:

1. email alert with snapshot (I hope you can customize how many and at which rate you want snapshots to be recorded once motion is detected)

2. local recording triggered by motion of images (I assume video as well, but I don't get why would you want video when images should be higher-res with higher sharpness, making face recognition easier)

3. I saw some cameras had "alarm out" (?) which I assume means can trigger audible alarm.

4. direct over the internet access to see live feeds

I am new to these systems, so 1-4 above are more of what I think I know, but likely you can talk some sense into me... please! (-:

Both the systems can do all this...I work in IT. And while I can build and secure networks, configure routers, build and fix pc's camera systems are not my area of expertise....yet LOL

I picked an all in one solution for the following reasons:

Budget: I had a budget of...You better get this done right now. I don't care how much it cost

WAF: Wife acceptance factor. See above

Support: I can build a system but at the end of the day were are my warranty and support? With Costco and the swann I bought has a three year warranty, if I start to have major issues with it Im not SOL.

(Warning Q2U, is going to get all mad)

I knew what the alarm company was going to charge for an inferior product, so I decided to go at it my self. With a product that I can connect to the alarm if I want to. for much much cheaper.

(end of q2u getting mad)

One of the problems of building an item your self...or piecing it together if it dies youre stuck with who was the vendor and dealing with fixing it your self. Additionally you need to figure out how to make alarm inputs and outputs work (no pc board comes with those) so your either using ones on the camera...or modifying a serial port. Sure technically the most bang for my buck would have came from building it my self but only because I would have got a more capable system. For what the swann does...it does everything I want it to do and the most important feature it does....is peace of mind.

...(Warning Q2U, is going to get all mad)

I knew what the alarm company was going to charge for an inferior product, so I decided to go at it my self. With a product that I can connect to the alarm if I want to. for much much cheaper.

(end of q2u getting mad)...

Z, the only thing you said that disturbed me was how nasty and disrespectful when referring to some guys who were trying to make a living by selling you a surveilance system. I had my say and that was the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

...(Warning Q2U, is going to get all mad)

(end of q2u getting mad)...

Z, the only thing you said that disturbed me was how nasty and disrespectful when referring to some guys who were trying to make a living by selling you a surveilance system. I had my say and that was the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

Heh I just had to toss that in there.

Does anyone know if you can 'extend' one of these cameras via wifi? I need to place a camera across the street so would like to get a separate PoE for the camera and run a wifi link across the road to the Lorex NVR. Is this possible?

Thanks, Glenn

Does anyone know if you can 'extend' one of these cameras via wifi? I need to place a camera across the street so would like to get a separate PoE for the camera and run a wifi link across the road to the Lorex NVR. Is this possible?

Thanks, Glenn

From a networking standpoint, it would be possible. You would need to put a wireless bridge on one of the poe ports and put another bridge on the camera...and that would need POE or an external adapter.

The problem you might run into is the swtich on the nvr will see the mac of the bridge and not the camera...im not sure if this would cause problems or not.

You could do this with two routers running dd-wrt, which would be great because they would be transparent!

Thanks, Glenn

This should give you an idea of how I got mine to work with my q-see nvr.

http://www.edimax.us/html/Faq/WifiRouterStationInfrastructure.pdf

The qsee can use cameras on the lan, as well as the camera network.

I asked Lorex, they said I can't do the same with theirs.

This sounds encouraging. I might get a costco system and give it a try to see if I can make it work over a wifi link. Does anyone have recommendations on a poe injector? From the datasheet here they use 12V 802.3af.

I also see Costco has the two-pack Lorex on sale again.

Hey guys, the Lorex cameras are back in stock at Costco...

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-HD-1080p-IndoorOutdoor-Night-Vision-2-Pack-IP-Bullet-Cameras.product.100043751.html

I walked around my house yesterday and surveyed possible camera locations, and it looks like I will need 8 cameras for full coverage around my home. I added up the cost and I'm looking at $1550 for the Lorex PoE system with 8 cameras. I'm starting to wonder if I should wait for a better deal to come out with 8 cameras. I really like the specs of the Lorex kit. I won't integrate to my alarm, but the PTZ control would be nice. Ugh, what to do, what to do.

Does anyone have recommendations on a poe injector? From the datasheet here they use 12V 802.3af.

The TP-LINK TL-PoE150S PoE Injector is a good bet for one camera, but if you're going to run more, you should look into getting a Zyxel switch.

The datasheet means it will run on either a local 12Vdc supply with it's own dedicated plug, or on 802.3af POE, which is 48Vdc over the ethernet cable with negotiations to enable it for appropriate devices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-997-219&ParentOnly=1&IsVirtualParent=1

Hey guys, the Lorex cameras are back in stock at Costco...

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-HD-1080p-IndoorOutdoor-Night-Vision-2-Pack-IP-Bullet-Cameras.product.100043751.html

I walked around my house yesterday and surveyed possible camera locations, and it looks like I will need 8 cameras for full coverage around my home. I added up the cost and I'm looking at $1550 for the Lorex PoE system with 8 cameras. I'm starting to wonder if I should wait for a better deal to come out with 8 cameras. I really like the specs of the Lorex kit. I won't integrate to my alarm, but the PTZ control would be nice. Ugh, what to do, what to do.

The lorez doesnt support PTZ cameras...the swann version supports both the features above, I paid 1600 and some change for the swann with 8 cameras...and the reality is you not going to find a better deal than this costco deal. You could get more for your money...but its going to be more money!

I thought about buying 8 of the cameras which is 1400.00+ alone, and building a box and putting blue iris on it which depending on your needs...and wants (two different things) could range from 500.00 to 1000.00 extra easy....then you got the issue of support, who do you call if something goes bad...newegg?

The swann version is my first nvr...and i like it, but much like with anything i buy...i gotta second guess my self!

The lorez doesnt support PTZ cameras...the swann version supports both the features above, I paid 1600 and some change for the swann with 8 cameras...and the reality is you not going to find a better deal than this costco deal. You could get more for your money...but its going to be more money!

I thought about buying 8 of the cameras which is 1400.00+ alone, and building a box and putting blue iris on it which depending on your needs...and wants (two different things) could range from 500.00 to 1000.00 extra easy....then you got the issue of support, who do you call if something goes bad...newegg?

The swann version is my first nvr...and i like it, but much like with anything i buy...i gotta second guess my self!

Err yeah, I worded that incorrectly. I did see that it doesn't support PTZ in your OP, and I was saying that it would be a nice feature to have in general. The other thing that threw me for a loop is this new Dahua NVR5208-P. I was thinking that maybe getting that with 8 cameras would be a bit more, but would give me more functionality. You do bring up a good point that there is nothing comparable to this kit right now at this cost. I'll keep sleeping on it since we have until the end of May, and I'll hope they don't run out of stock too soon. The other thing freaking me out is the install. :\

Err yeah, I worded that incorrectly. I did see that it doesn't support PTZ in your OP, and I was saying that it would be a nice feature to have in general. The other thing that threw me for a loop is this new Dahua NVR5208-P. I was thinking that maybe getting that with 8 cameras would be a bit more, but would give me more functionality. You do bring up a good point that there is nothing comparable to this kit right now at this cost. I'll keep sleeping on it since we have until the end of May, and I'll hope they don't run out of stock too soon. The other thing freaking me out is the install. :\

The install is easy. Ill take some pics of what i did...and i think it worked out really well.

the nvr 5208-p with 8 cameras will be more money for sure...im not sure how much more functionality you would get. i just learned some stuff about the 52xx series in the thread about it, and i guess its essentially the same as the 32xx series, with some software changes.

Had it on good authority today... let's say a little bird told me...

In a matter of weeks rather than months, the Swanns will be back at Costco. I sure hope it's true. I'm ready to go.

As far as I'm concerned, the bloom is off the rose on the Lorex due to previously-mentioned lack of alarm input and PTZ. I will wait for the Swann unless Q-See posts a 1080 package with comparable features and price. There was also some hope that Swann might add a PTZ to their offerings, although that was a little more vague.

PS: These Costco threads must be driving the pros and tekkies nuts. I have found them tremendously helpful, including some of the pro's insights, but I would hate to be them, wading through puddles of unenlightened ignorance. I am very grateful for the forum and the input of all the more experienced professionals here. If it's any comfort, my budget has more or less tripled since I started looking at sample video, reading, and searching, although there is still a limit. But if I don't buy and install it myself, it's not going to get done, as with so many other things here on the "farm". It just needs to get done and with some level of Costco support guarantee.

Agreed! I also am very thankful for the kind and knowlegeable assistance many of the "experts" are providing. I have a new-found appreciation for their technical excellence!

Re: Costco, I believe that they are the primary seller of Swann's items in the U.S. And, unless Swann is done selling them via one of the largest distributors in the world, I would expect them to be available many times. Patience is your friend!

J.

Pictures would be fantastic zikronix! After some serious thought, I'm going to wait for the Swann kit to come back with 8 cameras. If it's only around $50 more, then I think it's worth it to wait. You get better/longer support, PTZ, alarm input, the crappy mobile app can be trashed in favor of the HikVision one, and I can just make my own Cat5e cables so the 60ft lengths are a non-issue. The ability to put cameras directly on the LAN is a nice plus as well. Hell, just look at the OP and the amount of items in the pro/con list for each system. It speaks for itself. Swann it is!

ETA: I've been meaning to ask you guys about the cameras. I see the female RJ45 pigtail coming off the cameras have another small female connector which kind of looks like a composite-type connector. Any idea what that's for?

The second connector on the pigtail is a standard 2.1x5.5 mm 12Vdc power connector. I fired up the Swann on one of my old analog cam supplies and it worked fine.

Heres what i did for the install.

Drilled a 1.5 hole in the front cover then bolted the camera to the front cover with lock washers, thread-loc and nylon nuts on the back side of the cover. made the connection inside the box. The standard box screws are being replaced by security screws this weekend. I used flex conduit cause it was easier and cheaper than the hard stuff, drilled a hole in the bird stop on the back side of the conduit, i also put another conduit connector with an electrical washer so its quite difficult to pull the conduit out.

and here is my lock box that houses my nvr, ups, wireless hdmi and keyboard extender. ( before repainting the ceiling)

20130507_181529.jpg.3bfe1d18deb6c455b732fb0c7d68efc3.jpg

20130503_164423.jpg.ad6c80641ded0cd4da80a78f811db12c.jpg

What is the point of PTZ on a fixed lens camera? Z is digital which is I can do myself if there is something I need to see, (and I can control how much I Z so the image isn't pixelated). I am trying to figure out why people care about PTZ in software in the Lorex vs Swann choice?

Tom

What is the point of PTZ on a fixed lens camera? Z is digital which is I can do myself if there is something I need to see, (and I can control how much I Z so the image isn't pixelated). I am trying to figure out why people care about PTZ in software in the Lorex vs Swann choice?

Tom

I dont think its the zoom as much as it is the pan tilt, and potential auto track (which the swann doesnt support yet)

Hi All,

My first post here.

I ordered the Lorex NVR from costco with the 4 cams last sunday.

Why?

I had SUPER bad experience with Swann.

1) I started out with a 8-2600 a few years ago - worked great, just crappy images. I really only want motion detection images due to me being away from my business 60% of the year. If I see something shady then I log on with netviewer and play back that channels alerts.

2) Upgraded to D1 TrueBlue 8-3000 last month with 4 bullets and 2 domes from costco. I was getting motion alerts 500+ emails. I messed with the sensitivity timings, and values to no avail - it was to the point where if I moved up the sensitivity it wouldn't trigger anything. I would exclude the street or trees in the view, but it didn't matter - it always triggered regardless. I thought the cameras were crappy except the 700 tvl domes - so I bought a few new additional 700 TVL with good IR to test with. Still the same issue. Adjusted the settings to low FPS, lower quality etc...Still the same.

First call to Tech Support - Seemed to be from India. Of course there tech support hours are great...They always have a human answering. This human is worthless and can't help you at all - alls they are are appointment makers and very bad at that.

They make an appt 2-3 days later for a higher level tech between the hours of 6pm and Midnight (MST).

Higher Level Tech support guy knows less then I do. He checks the firmware and says its good, it must be a faulty DVR and they send me new DVR a week later.

New DVR arrives. Same issue with the alerts like crazy. This time I try setting a mask where trees or street traffic is. DONT DO THIS. their software is bugged, and MASKS don't work and will send your unit into reboot hell. I know this because I was able to do the exact same thing with their previous unit that I hadn't shipped back yet.

I called Tech Support again, set up a time 3-4 days later - and then that time came and gone, I stayed at the business from 6pm - midnight for nothing. Highly Pissed I called back to setup a new time. I didnt get a reason why I wasnt called back but was on hold while he was checking why for 30 minutes.... but I was assured they would call back in 2 days between 6-midnight.

Well that time came and gone - NADA - no call again! Highly irate the next day took all the cameras off the building (5 of them) PIA! and took it back to Costco where they gave me cash back. Highly impressed by Costco!

So from this experience Swann can kiss it.

Ordered the Lorex NVR 8 channel - and waiting for their website to sell the new dome ip cameras (website has them, but for some reason you can't buy them yet)

I will give my review on how the new system works as soon as I get the unit. So far I have not got a shipping notification yet.

Koz

This thread has been very helpful. Thanks to all. Been stalking these forums for quite some time..... First time poster.

Few questions

Is there a dome camera that can be installed on this lorex or are you simply constrained to use the cameras offered by lorex via costco. It would be helpful if anyone could post a link to some cameras that 'may' work with this system as plug n play.

Lastly, and this is a dumb question, but when the cameras are installed, is the light at the bottom (see pic below) visible to the naked eye? I'd sort of hope they would be a bit more stealth.

Thanks!

219510_1.jpg

Hmm that's interesting... I've never owned either. So far Swann support is awesome. I am in the process of tweaking email alerts... And I do get a lot. I suspect the lorex would be the same since it's almost the same nvr. The one thing I like about the Swann is the 3 year from Swann and Costco vs the lorex... I may check in out