lamsao

Lorex 8-channel NVR with 6 1080p cams @Costco for $999.99

Is yours plastic

i have to double check, i looked it over and it looked just like the foam i moved around on my 4mm, just bigger, no idea that was a plastic piece.

So is the old style dome camera the one with the hard plastic insert?

No this is definitly the new style, they have the plastic housing on the light sensor.

I'm finally done testing and will be mounting cameras this weekend. I've never worked with dome cameras. All the materials show the camera mounted horizontally, pointing down. While I can mount the dome cameras that way, can you mount the dome camera on the wall and orient the image (either in camera or NVR setting) so that the image has the correct orientation?

Just hoping to save at least a couple of minutes of frustration

Thank you.

Most domes yes, the dome you bought, no. You can surface mount it on the wall, as long as the lens points straight forward, you can tilt it, not pan it. Also, if do this, you have to make sure the dome is perfectly level as you drill the holes for it, another challenge.

So what happens you are wondering, as you pan the lens, you have to rotate the lens, which makes the image more slanted the more you pan. So you think to yourself, I'll just rotate the camera to compensate, but rotating the camera change the pan/tilt, so you re-adjust it, and back to square one. I truly hate 2-axis domes, LOL, but they tend to be less expensive.

I'm finally done testing and will be mounting cameras this weekend. I've never worked with dome cameras. All the materials show the camera mounted horizontally, pointing down. While I can mount the dome cameras that way, can you mount the dome camera on the wall and orient the image (either in camera or NVR setting) so that the image has the correct orientation?

Thank you.

Agree with Buewinkle. It is a pain to mount on a vertical surface unless you are lucky enough to not need to point the lens to the right or left or need to point it toward the ground.

Keep in mind there is no setting in the NVR to flip the camera image. What I had to do with my dome was remove the black plastic shield in the dome. Then I had to remove the screw that limits the travel on the lens so that I could point it down low enough. Not a big deal as the two screws on the axis are more than adequate when tightened down to keep the lens from moving. Then reinstall the black shield rotated 180 degrees. Now you can mount it vertically and have the lens pointing toward the ground instead of pointing out perpendicular to the wall. Now watch that someone will point out there is a flip image option and I did that workaround for nothing. LOL

Something else you can try is to connect the camera directly to your network instead of the NVR to see if there is a setting in the cam to flip the image. That would avoid the mechanical workaround I did. Didn't think about that until now. The way I connected my Swann cam was to connect it to my router, and plug in a 12V power source to the camera. I used the Hikvision free SADP program to locate the camera on my network. From SADP I changed the camera's IP address to an IP address in my network's range, and I logged into the camera using my internet browser. From the browser there was various settings accessible. I'm guessing the Lorex dome camera may have the same browser support but not sure.

Thank you.

Agree with Buewinkle. It is a pain to mount on a vertical surface unless you are lucky enough to not need to point the lens to the right or left or need to point it toward the ground.

Keep in mind there is no setting in the NVR to flip the camera image. What I had to do with my dome was remove the black plastic shield in the dome. Then I had to remove the screw that limits the travel on the lens so that I could point it down low enough. Not a big deal as the two screws on the axis are more than adequate when tightened down to keep the lens from moving. Then reinstall the black shield rotated 180 degrees. Now you can mount it vertically and have the lens pointing toward the ground instead of pointing out perpendicular to the wall. Now watch that someone will point out there is a flip image option and I did that workaround for nothing. LOL

Something else you can try is to connect the camera directly to your network instead of the NVR to see if there is a setting in the cam to flip the image. That would avoid the mechanical workaround I did. Didn't think about that until now. The way I connected my Swann cam was to connect it to my router, and plug in a 12V power source to the camera. I used the Hikvision free SADP program to locate the camera on my network. From SADP I changed the camera's IP address to an IP address in my network's range, and I logged into the camera using my internet browser. From the browser there was various settings accessible. I'm guessing the Lorex dome camera may have the same browser support but not sure.

there is a setting inside the cameras to flip the image, and i swear i saw the setting in the nvr to configure my cameras and flip the image as necessary.

Is there any way to remotely back up the HD on the Lorex system with a same-sized HD on the same LAN?

Not all in one go.

Lorex refused to give me a ftp or telnet password, when I went to a higher tech support level. I got an email from the tech support in Spain, who told me they didn't have them.

You can setup a mirror on the NVR, so that it writes to both the local HD and a network NFS drive.

JoeyJoey,

How can you set up mirroring? That might be the ticket.

Thanks

Setup NFS on a NAS or on your PC. The newer firmware support iSCSI, haven't tried that though.

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1729

That link shows a similar setup with NFS.

The manual shows the mirror setting, take a look, ask if you don't understand it.

Is there any way to remotely back up the HD on the Lorex system with a same-sized HD on the same LAN?

Not all in one go.

Lorex refused to give me a ftp or telnet password, when I went to a higher tech support level. I got an email from the tech support in Spain, who told me they didn't have them.

On the Hik cams, the telnet and FTP logins are the same as the admin login, if I recall correctly. I don't know about on the NVR.

Not all in one go.

On the Hik cams, the telnet and FTP logins are the same as the admin login, if I recall correctly. I don't know about on the NVR.

Supposidly the telnet password is "unique" per box

JoeyJoey,

Sorry to bother, but I do see any mention of mirroring in the manual. What section can I find it in?

Page 40 of the Lorex manual.

http://www.lorextechnology.com/downloads/security-nvr/LNR200-Series/LNR200_SERIES_MANUAL_EN_R2_web.pdf

Mirror: Mirror hard drive. A mirror hard drive can be used to automatically backup video

footage recorded to the recording hard drive. When a mirroring hard drive is installed, the

NVR can be set to record cameras in parallel to both the recording hard drive and the mirror

hard drive. This way, the footage is automatically backed up if the recording hard drive fails.

To configure hard drive types on the NVR:

1 If you are configuring a hard drive to be a mirroring hard drive, you must first format both the

recording hard drive and mirroring hard drive before you can set up hard drive mirroring.

For instructions on how to format hard drives, see “Formatting the Hard Drive” on page 39.

2 Right-click and then click HDD.

3 Click on the hard drive you would like to configure.

4 Select the hard drive type to use for this hard drive: R/W, Read-only, or Mirror.

And so on....

Each camera has the setting too.

Does anyone know where the setting is on the NVR to keep it in live view by default? Often when I switch HDMI sources on my TV to view the cameras, I am presented with an older image from one of the cameras. I can use the mouse to exit this image and go back to live feed. I'd really like the NVR to always be in live feed unless I do a direct action.

Thanks for your help,

David

Hi all,

I'm trying to find rack ears for this NVR. It doesn't come with them and Lorex tells me they can't help me, but there's screw holes there and it's sized perfectly for rack mounting--I know there's gotta be a way. Can anybody advise?

Zach

They are expensive and out of stock. Why not order the Hikvision bullet or dome that are 3MP?

Yes they are out of stock. Can you send me a link to the Hikvision. Thanks