lamsao

Lorex 8-channel NVR with 6 1080p cams @Costco for $999.99

Sadly, the two domes I received Wednesday have the fatter foam ring covering up the IR LEDs. They looked old style to me when I compared them to the pictures[attachment=0]Lorex.jpg[/attachment]

This is with the dome still on the camera...

I can't convince myself which version it is. The foam does cover half of the IR LEDs on the inner row. It seems to not occlude the daylight sensor (assuming that's what the larger cylinder is in the top center. Maybe it is the newer version and the dome is just flattening the foam down so it looks more like the older version

that is definitely the old version, sadly, its so weird how orders around the same time period could yield such different cameras.

I had 2 orders 1 week apart, my 2nd order shipped first, and my 1st order actually shipped after the 2nd order, but they both came with the newer domes, the last order i received was this past monday the 5th.

Other than the dome foam - which looks like I could modify it with a little patience, any other differences? I could bring it back to a local Costco and then reorder another one and hope that I get the right batch.

or use the bullets, order another Lorex package, swap the bullets back into the first box and return it - that assumes I'm either lucky or not playing dome roulette.

Edited by Guest

This is an obvious flaw. Has anyone pressed the issue with Lorex? I would think.. Foam... Easy to trim... Hut we shouldn't have to.. Especially if they hold it against you in the future.

This is an obvious flaw. Has anyone pressed the issue with Lorex? I would think.. Foam... Easy to trim... Hut we shouldn't have to.. Especially if they hold it against you in the future.

even on the newer version, i had to work on the foam a bit, i believe it was still blocking some leds a bit, i actually took the foam, flipped it upside down, and squeezed the wider foam to fit by the IR leds. tested it and i had no ir leakage problems, so i'm happy, it was as easy as flipping the foam around.

trimming it is easy, but is very hard to get it to look perfect, if you cared about it.

IR in domes has never been a great combo. Not in the analog world either. This is why I prefer eyeballs and bullets over domes, when it comes to IR. The way I figure it, I'd either have enough light to keep the camera in day mode, or invest in cameras that are IR sensitive, and use separate IR fixtures. And that's a much better approach to IR anyway. Half the summer is over in NY. Each and every night I have to clear webs away from my IR cameras and it's never a given they'll stay clear all night long. It's a drag, plain and simple. I'll be damned if I go through that with more expensive MP cameras. Not a chance.

even on the newer version, i had to work on the foam a bit, i believe it was still blocking some leds a bit, i actually took the foam, flipped it upside down, and squeezed the wider foam to fit by the IR leds. tested it and i had no ir leakage problems, so i'm happy, it was as easy as flipping the foam around.

trimming it is easy, but is very hard to get it to look perfect, if you cared about it.

That's cool...however based off a few peoples issues with support from lorex...(mainly joeyjoey) ive decided im going to keep with my swann.

+1. I had an absolutely terrible experience with LOREX support - or rather the lack of it - with an analog system !!

Can anyone confirm that these cameras can/can't be used without an NVR (Obviously you would need a PoE switch) by ftp'ing to an NFS share?

Can anyone confirm that these cameras can/can't be used without an NVR (Obviously you would need a PoE switch) by ftp'ing to an NFS share?

Yes they can be used by themselves.

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1729

I saw the same review by buellwinkle, but I was unsure whether or not these Lorex/Costco cameras have been dumbed down or changed in any way.

I'm on the fence with this system. I'm starting to think buying the Hikvision version and using a PC/NAS as an NVR might be the way to go for me, especially since I'm not assured of which version of dome camera is coming in the box.

Yes they can be used by themselves.

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1729

I saw the same review by buellwinkle, but I was unsure whether or not these Lorex/Costco cameras have been dumbed down or changed in any way.

I'm on the fence with this system. I'm starting to think buying the Hikvision version and using a PC/NAS as an NVR might be the way to go for me, especially since I'm not assured of which version of dome camera is coming in the box.

costco has their return policy which is 2nd to none around here. it is worth the time to see if you get the newer costco version, it is very weird how i'm the only person posting about receiving this newer version.

Someone on costco posted a 5star review, that wasn't me, but it sure looks nice, i need to post my own soon, also going to be New York, NY, looks like "us" new yorkers are getting all the good stuff.

they take hikvision firmware with no problem, in case swann or lorex dumbed things down.

only thing i hate about the cameras, is that they do not account for Daylight Saving Time which throws my time out of whack twice a year, in which i have to change timezones to make it accurate.

The Hikvision I have take DST into consideration, you have select which week to switch.

yup just found it, sucks that you have to manually select when to start and stop dst, it is somewhat different every year.

Can someone post a picture of the new RJ45 dongle (round one vs square). Thanks!

Steve

227742_1.jpg

Ah perfect. I assume there is a twist lock or something on that goes over the other side? Anyone know if the 2 pack Swann from Costco are shipping this way yet?

Thanks!

Steve

It does come with the adapter for the Ethernet side that screws on for a weather tight seal, but you have to crimp the rj45 plug after you slip this on. The advantage is that it's much smaller than ACTi's solution, hence a smaller hole needed, but with ACTi's you can slip it over a existing cable with the plug already on it. Tradeoffs, can't say one way is better than the other.

People have been getting a mixed bag from Lorex, so impossible to say. Order a few kits and return the ones you don't want.

It does come with the adapter for the Ethernet side that screws on for a weather tight seal, but you have to crimp the rj45 plug after you slip this on. The advantage is that it's much smaller than ACTi's solution, hence a smaller hole needed, but with ACTi's you can slip it over a existing cable with the plug already on it. Tradeoffs, can't say one way is better than the other.

People have been getting a mixed bag from Lorex, so impossible to say. Order a few kits and return the ones you don't want.

fyi lorex does not come with the other side of the weather tight seal, i got them on my swann full size bullets, but not with lorex.

i'm guessing that lorex and swann would normally not send them out with the weather tight seals, since they are normally sold in kits with a 100ft of terminated ethernet cable.

Anyone know where I could purchase rack ears for this Lorex NVR (445mm/17.5" wide) so that I can mount it on a 19" rack? The Swann version from Costco came with rack ears but the Lorex version didn't, I assume in a money saving move.

I called Hikvision and they said that I'd have to call the distributor that I purchased from since they don't sell direct. I emailed Lorex and they said they don't sell the rack ears. Are there any Hikvision distributors in the US that sells direct to consumer?

Are there any Hikvision distributors in the US that sells direct to consumer?

No, that would be a violation of their distributor agreement. I'm trying to get setup but it's a tedious process as my current distributors do not carry their full line.

Thanks a lot for the info. Exactly what I needed.

Steve

Here's what the rest of the connector looks like. As BW says, these are for bulk cable, and have to be installed before crimping the connector.

Unassembled - the white rings are soft silicone rubber or similar. The large skinny ring seals between the two halves, and the small tall ring slips over the unterminated cable, and compresses against the loose half and the cable. It looks like it should be effective. I didn't use mine because I'm using pre-made cables.

227773_1.jpg

Assembled, ready to be screwed down and connected:

227773_2.jpg

got my 4 bullets installed outside

hope they stay dry inside for more then the 24hrs some people mentioned getting liquid inside.

These things definitely do not hold tight like the swanns do, i think the clamping mechanism got cheapened by lorex.

I am in the market to get a camera system for our new house. I don't need anything immediately, so should I grab this kit or wait till the newer models are available?

I was thinking I wanted all bullet cameras. Would the domes work OK outside? All of the cameras would be outside the house. I do not need anything indoors.

I am in the market to get a camera system for our new house. I don't need anything immediately, so should I grab this kit or wait till the newer models are available?

I was thinking I wanted all bullet cameras. Would the domes work OK outside? All of the cameras would be outside the house. I do not need anything indoors.

it is a good price, but it is hard to tell if something like this will come by again soon, chances are in a few months, you can get something newer for the same price.

the domes are water proof just like the bullets, and should work fine outdoors. They are rated as outdoor domes.