shockwave199

Caught on camera- landscapers behaving badly

Today I went to install my landscape fence I had sitting around for a while, and it was gone. Did *I* move it along the way? I am forgetful. Nope, it's nowhere. Let me check the cameras. A month ago, the guys decide it was fair game and they took it. Well it wasn't fair game. It's my property, ON my property. And the kid knows this, as he looks around and contemplates it for a bit. Wrong choice! LOL! Nailed.

_3dlBFPZQaQ

LLYrTEkeX6A

LlDY3Cfr5es

Hmm, you know Shock, your my buddy, but those pieces were on top of the garbage cans so possibly he thought you

were throwing them out? Did you confront him or his boss yet?

Are those your garbage cans? If that is the trash, I can understand someone thinking the fence was going to be thrown away, but if that is whoever cuts your grass, he should have bothered asking.

That is my garbage cans the fence is on top of- not in, but on top. But the thing is, it's on my property. If it were at the curb, no harm no foul. He could have asked me and I would have told him no, I plan to use it. You can't take stuff from peoples garbage cans while on their property- it's against the law. And technically, the fence was not in a can either. The bed where I was gonna install them is very close to that spot, which is why they were left there. The kid knew it wasn't a good idea. He looked around, thought about, and decided to take my fence. But I don't have to explain a thing- that's what the cameras are for.

What comes of this is that these guys can't be trusted, plain and simple. So they won't be coming back.

I'm with MindTwist. It's not really theft if it was in the garbage but he should have asked anyway. I store things I don't want thrown away in my fenced off garbage/compost/recycling area at times and wouldn't appreciate it if someone took something from there without asking. He was probably thinking and working through the problem "why would someone put good fencing where they keep their garbage?". After the wheels churned a bit he came up with the wrong answer. If it were me, I wouldn't press charges but probably wouldn't want them back either.

I'm on your side Shock. He should have asked or not taken it at all. But, I'm just saying, more than likely, he was thinking

they were garbage because they may not have fit in the garbage cans so he just thought you put them on top of

the garbage. Keep in mind, they were in the garbage area, not on your front porch or rear patio. I would just let their boss know

that he took something that belonged to you and you want it back. And the guy who took it, you just don't want him at your

house any longer.

It's not really theft if it was in the garbage but he should have asked anyway.

Can you explain that?

Taking stuff from a garbage bin when you put it on the public street for pickup is unlawfull.

When it is still on your own property it is theft by all standards if you did not give explicit permission to take it away.

It WAS theft by definition, but you would be hard pressed to say that he knew that shockwave still valued and wanted the items. Taking unvalued and unwanted items from what he considered the garbage wouldn't have been theft in his mind, even though he should still have asked for permission to take the fencing. Depending on the jurisdiction and the judge, you might either get a conviction or laughed out of court.

The minds of thieves move in mysterious ways but as a company or employee he should known that this causes integrity and trust issues with his client if he does it without telling him.

You cannot be laughed out of court for this. If a improfessional judge laughs you out of court for this, ask for a new judge right at that instant. A judge needs to apply the law and all that can happen is that he finds the suspect guilty but does not impose a sentence because of the storey and circumstances the defendant gives the judge.

It's not really theft if it was in the garbage but he should have asked anyway.

Can you explain that?

Taking stuff from a garbage bin when you put it on the public street for pickup is unlawfull.

When it is still on your own property it is theft by all standards if you did not give explicit permission to take it away.

it depends how you look at footage. shockwave199 has put videos up a of his contractors before same people so uses the service a lot.

contractor has a waste on back of truck so in his eyes thought he was doing a favour in taking a large bit of waste away. right or wrong it does look like a contractor doing a favour ....... and he does put fence with other waste he could of put it on other trailer if he wanted to keep it

That's an interesting interpretation Tom, but not the right one! LOL! The guy wasn't doing me a favor- he grabbed my fence for himself. It's quite a bundle of fence to carry, which is why I kept it there to begin with- so I didn't have to carry it back when I was ready to install it. He threw it on the back of his truck because there was no place else to put it and I can assure you, it's not in a dumpster right now- it's somewhere in HIS garden bed instead of mine.

Not correct as I understand it. When you put your trash to the curb, you give up implied ownership of that material. Not only is it fair game, but it can be gone through for evidence collecting in a police investigation. When your trash is still on your property, it is not legal to take anything from it. Your property is considered private property and therefore, you can't take stuff from it. If the fence had been IN my cans, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Even though he still wouldn't have the right, I would concede that I meant it as garbage and let it go. But it's a fenced in area on top of cans, and it was there for over a month. They passed it many times and if it wasn't moving, they should have left it alone regardless. So at the very least, the kid should have asked me. It's quite obvious he knew it could be the wrong thing to do. He thought about it for a few moments, and decided to do the wrong thing. It's not the crime of the century. From my contractor, all I will ask for is a free lawn cut to cover the loss, and to not have these two relatively new guys to my property come back. Send me a different crew, these guys can't be fully trusted. Not to mention, I'm an easy customer. They've broken countless landscape lights along the way and leave big gouges in my lawn from the equipment and I don't complain. But this time, this is one I'm not overlooking. Well actually, I WAS overlooking- that's why they got caught!

When you put your trash to the curb, you give up implied ownership of that material. Not only is it fair game, but it can be gone through for evidence collecting in a police investigation.

In most jurisdictions that is dead wrong for several reasons.

Legally you do not give up ownership by putting trash on the curb, you transfer ownership to another party (hired directly or indirectly by you to pick it up).

If trash spills out of the bin before it is picked up you can be held responsible and liable.

Third thing to concider is that privacy laws forbid going through someones trash.

Police can go through EVERYTHING when evidence collecting in an investigation, for wich they need varying degrees of reasonable suspicion up to signed warrants or court orders to do so. They can not go through it "for fun" or just to check you out.

The guy who took the fence stopped by and returned it and apologized profusely. I accepted and will give him the benefit of the doubt and a second chance. All along it was a grey area of sorts, as far as him thinking it could be garbage. From his behavior in the footage, I know he knew it could be the wrong thing to take it. But mow on...and know I'm watching.

Nice videos.

Check your state laws. Where I live, the city owns 3ft from the road anyway. Anything place within

3ft of the road (Trash) is no longer your property and can be gone through by the public.

I found this out when a neighbor cut up wood nicely, put at curb and when I picked some of it

up for a bon fire in the yard he flipped and called the cops. He was put in his place.

Glad it all worked out

When you put your trash to the curb, you give up implied ownership of that material. Not only is it fair game, but it can be gone through for evidence collecting in a police investigation.

In most jurisdictions that is dead wrong for several reasons.

Legally you do not give up ownership by putting trash on the curb, you transfer ownership to another party (hired directly or indirectly by you to pick it up).

If trash spills out of the bin before it is picked up you can be held responsible and liable.

Third thing to concider is that privacy laws forbid going through someones trash.

Police can go through EVERYTHING when evidence collecting in an investigation, for wich they need varying degrees of reasonable suspicion up to signed warrants or court orders to do so. They can not go through it "for fun" or just to check you out.

In my jurisdiction (Québec) no one can go through your trash at the curb except the company hired to pick it up, at which point the ownership is transferred. This means that the police needs a warrant to search your trash.

You were able to go back a month? How big is your HDD, and how many cameras are you recording with? How much time can you typically store?

My 1TB drive only handles about 10 days at D1 compression for 12 cameras.

I was able to go back a month. I have 8 cameras all recording motion during the day. But at night I only record 5 cameras, mostly because three of them are overview and wouldn't give me useful recordings anyway, plus spider webs plague those three cameras too. But that garbage can shot where he took the fence- that records motion during the day but it's one of the three I stop recording at night. So managing it like that, I get about 40 days out of a 1tb drive.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend stopping recording critical cameras but it does help to be realistic and prudent with scheduling. Any camera that can be considered less than critical in a given time period can be considered for scheduling no recording periods. I guess you can argue that if you've done it right, ALL cameras are critical. But I knowingly built in three overview shots for wide area monitoring and support for the critical spots. So at night they go off. During the winter though, when the spider webs cease, I generally turn them back on too. But during the summer, I'm not wasting archive time on overviews at night with wobbling web strings. It's just scheduling management, that's all.