rory

MegaPixel Cameras - Images and Demos

They are awesome PTZ cameras because of the flat glass so you don't get the annoying reflections/streaking or whatever you call it of a typical domes. The biggest gripe is that you would think because it's not limited by the typical plastic dome, they would be able to see at the horizon or above, but what happens is that as you zoom in, the horizon creeps up and you can't tilt as high as an Axis Q60. If they can adjust the limits of the camera to tilt higher so it can look up a little, it would make it a lot more usable.

Also, have you had a chance to try their new 3MP version?

This post has a lot of replies so i thought i'd just ask here rather than create a new post plus more chance of a reply lol.

i have a post where im putting a ptz camera, now i want a floodlight next to it, whats the best position do put it to get the best light, and so it doesnt come in the way, im thinking above the camera?

thank you in advance.

This post has a lot of replies so i thought i'd just ask here rather than create a new post plus more chance of a reply lol.

i have a post where im putting a ptz camera, now i want a floodlight next to it, whats the best position do put it to get the best light, and so it doesnt come in the way, im thinking above the camera?

thank you in advance.

I would recommend above or below the camera. If you mount the light next to the dome there is a chance the light could reflect off the dome and would cause issues at night.

These are from my Grandstream GXV3622_FHD at 8Mbit, 2048 x 1536, auto iris, auto shutter speed. I had to compress the original JPEGs enough for the forum to accept them. I force it to use color mode at night, since clothing & vehicle colors can be helpful to know. The main goal here would be to catch someone breaking in via our fire exit or our north windows, or tagging our building with graffiti. Our neighbors have also needed our security footage a couple times, and this is a route used by school kids too.

Here is some video footage, including an accelerated segment where the light is changing from overcast to sunlight so you can evaluate how it handles that. The camera has no user-accessible WDR or noise-reduction options, so it is what it is.

_5HNew1Dot4

Overcast.thumb.jpg.5a8ba0423926d00997a888217db417db.jpg

Sun.thumb.jpg.bac285ce1f04063b82a673a42cd99bac.jpg

Night1.thumb.jpg.60e198b7ad6445454c8aa1913f53ce3f.jpg

You guys are so funny, oh no, I can't see a plate 70' away with a 5MP camera, haha. So you blame it on the camera, of course it can't do it, it's a $350 camera, so that's the reason. So here's a $1,319 camera from Axis, 5MP, same "watercolor effect", same can't read a license plate head on at 70' (no, I did not retouch the photo, did not blur anyone's plates). Better low light sensitivity, better camera overall, but heck, it better be for 4x the price. Do you really want me to show you what a 3MP top of the line Dahua can do because it's not even in the same league as ACTi or Axis, but I have those images to.

217484_1.jpg

any recommended cheap ip cam using 12mm lens so those 70' license plate get clear image?

On a recent review on the Hikvision 3MP with 12mm lens, I was able to read a plate about 80' away in bright daylight.

At night, never going to happen, a good box camera with low light sensitivity with a good 50mm lens combined with an awesome IR illuminator would be what you need.

On a recent review on the Hikvision 3MP with 12mm lens, I was able to read a plate about 80' away in bright daylight.

At night, never going to happen, a good box camera with low light sensitivity with a good 50mm lens combined with an awesome IR illuminator would be what you need.

any significant difference between usa hikvision and china hikvision?

Chinese version displays the day of week in Chinese but it can be turned off to display date and time only. Other than that, same camera, all made in China. The biggest difference is price.

A few bucks I filmed this morning..

They have a little standoff at 2:20, guess what one wins ...

QIuRLmM4ne4

231361_1.jpg

A few bucks I filmed this morning..

They have a little standoff at 2:20, guess what one wins ...

QIuRLmM4ne4

231361_1.jpg

What kind PTZ camera that you are using? Dahua brand?

Yes it is the dahua 8962a mounted ~25' up on a tree.

What have you got this recording to - an NVR attached to the camera or is this the substream sent over a celluar network?

Very cool setup, am interested in doing something similar over here for pigs/foxes!

Yes it is the dahua 8962a mounted ~25' up on a tree.

What have you got this recording to - an NVR attached to the camera or is this the substream sent over a celluar network?

Very cool setup, am interested in doing something similar over here for pigs/foxes!

It records to a hybrid DVR

As noted in Buellwinkle's review, the Dahua IPC-HDW2100 1.3MP eyeball cam has really annoying IR bleeding/reflection from its built-in illuminator. While there is currently no way to disable the IR illuminator in software, you can perform a little "cataract surgery" and remove the IR illuminator board from the camera. The front of the eyeball unscrews from the back half, and the IR board is held on with two small phillips head screws. 234521_1.jpg Unplug the small 4-pin connector, tuck the cable back inside the case, screw the eyeball back together, and voila! No more bleeding IR!

234521_2.jpg

And...no more IR.

Not a problem in my case. I like to keep my IR illuminators separate from my cameras, and I also prefer the more discreet 940nm wavelength, so ditching the built-in IR was a no-brainer.

Dahua has 1.3 and 2mp dome cameras without IR, if that works for you.

Alas, not in this "eyeball" form factor. It turns out this is the perfect size and shape to fit inside a bird house, which is where this one is going.

Btw in this thread 4 of the eyeballs are pictured at night and look fine, except for one. Wonder if this issue is with a certain batch of them.

Once you take it apart you realize the IR "barrier" is a small annular piece of sponge rubber that sits wedged between the IR board and the front glass piece; the camera lens sits inside the "doughnut hole". It's not attached to anything, so perhaps a slight misalignment during assembly and/or an imperfection in the sponge could result in leaks.

Are you using a bird house kit. I bought a kit to do this at a condo but camera didn't fit in that well, need a slightly larger birdhouse kit.

Are you using a bird house kit. I bought a kit to do this at a condo but camera didn't fit in that well, need a slightly larger birdhouse kit.

Yeah, I bought a kit from "The Birdhouse Depot" called "Clearwater" which is their largest kit. I had originally planned to put a larger camera in the base, but when I discovered the Dahua eyeball I realized I could fit it into one of the 3 compartments and leave the other two available for actual birds to use.

@shockwave199 Yeah, the other Dahua domes are smaller, but this one has the nice flat front which seems like it would work better when pressed up against the birdhouse entrance hole.

But with the IR unhooked it won't blind itself in fog while still being able to see IR from separate illuminators. Seems like a good solution if Dahua won't offer it as a software option.