rory

MegaPixel Cameras - Images and Demos

Don't get the impression I'm ragging. I'm learning to understand what a high res camera can and can't do under certain situations. If anything is askew it's my expectations, not what a mega pixel is gonna deliver. While the axis can't read the plate either, it's an improvement overall. I can tell there is numbers on the plate, and the detail at full scale is of better quality. The dahua can't compare, in the shot you posted. The reason plates came into it at all is because of the nature of your post- a suspicious car that's been lurking around the neighborhood. Natually I went right to the plate to see if the camera got the shot. It was actually a good teachable moment with picture because often times pictures are posted and assessed for the overall quality, not the nitty gritty. So for me at least, I learned something.

Here's a snapshot I just took from a Dahua IPC-HWF3300C, 3MP. I put it in my DropBox because it spits out uncompressed image and I got accused of tampering with the image when I converted it to JPG. Please tell what the plate number is on the SUV across the street.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29612389/20130418_150846.bmp

Are you personally happy with image quality ?

Don't get the impression I'm ragging. I'm learning to understand what a high res camera can and can't do under certain situations. If anything is askew it's my expectations, not what a mega pixel is gonna deliver. While the axis can't read the plate either, it's an improvement overall. I can tell there is numbers on the plate, and the detail at full scale is of better quality. The dahua can't compare, in the shot you posted. The reason plates came into it at all is because of the nature of your post- a suspicious car that's been lurking around the neighborhood. Natually I went right to the plate to see if the camera got the shot. It was actually a good teachable moment with picture because often times pictures are posted and assessed for the overall quality, not the nitty gritty. So for me at least, I learned something.

Yeah me too. I have no experience so obviously I just didn't know.

It seems to me that buellwinkle had the Axis focused on his vehicles rather than across the street, making it not quite the best possible test for plates at a distance. I doubt the change will make a huge difference but it should be noticeable.

Are you personally happy with image quality ?

I think the Dahua image makes for a pretty picture. But no, not happy with it from a surveillance point of view. White balance is unpredictable, better than their 1.3MP sensor, but still not consistent like ACTi, Axis or Mobotix that I work with more often. Maybe there's new firmware with better image control, but the one I have is too contrasty for surveillance, supposed to have WDR but I don't see it. I had the same experience with Brickcom using the same Sony Exmor processor, so maybe it's just the sensor. It looks good to most at first glance, but not when I look deeper.

What I learned from 5MP in general is that it's too much. At first I thought more pixels is better and the P3367 does provide pretty decent low light sensitivity, manages bright and low light and details with WDR turned off better than many cameras do with WDR on. Until 4K TV's are prevalent (meaning affordable), I'm stuck with 1080P monitor and TVs, so watching 5MP on 1080P makes no difference, actually I lose because 5MP is 4:3 and my monitor and TV are 16:9. Then I can get a 5MP snapshot off the video but like everyone says, doesn't really help me identify a person or plate that much further and I'm happy with 1080P or 3MP as being good enough, being able to identify a person or plate on my property. Besides, I don't need plate numbers, nobody can drive in the community without having their plates captured on better cameras than mine at our gates.

I would recommend the E33 for someone that wants 5MP on a budget, and the P3367 for someone that wants a really good 5MP camera. But I think the sweet spot is 1080P or 3MP with the plus on 3MP being that you have choice of 1080P also.

As for real plate capture, we are probably going to get a Axis Q1604 for testing. Seems to be popular with the LPR software folks. Which is ironic, using a 720P camera for plate capture when people are complaining they can't read plates with a 5MP camera.

Kawboy, I purposely had the camera auto focus on that car, it's as focused as it can get, even tweaked it to get the absolute best focus on that car.

It seems to me that buellwinkle had the Axis focused on his vehicles rather than across the street, making it not quite the best possible test for plates at a distance. I doubt the change will make a huge difference but it should be noticeable.

Yes, the camera looks focused a little to close. Depth of field is quite noticable on larger sensors such as 3-5MP. You could refocus the camera to the end of the driveway which would help with plates in the street - but even then they might not be legible - not enough resolution for that large field of view. This would also risk some blur up close to the camera in low light when the iris opens. I would focus the cam at the range of the id numbers on the boat for this sort of scene.

I purposely did manually focus directly on the vehicle across the street and still not readable. What's funny is I'm testing a 720P camera from Axis and it produced the same results as the 5MP camera trying to read the plate. It has better low light capability with it's "dynamic capture" feature.

Update on the E33. ACTi has beta firmware for the camera that greatly enhances it's low light sensitivity and noise reduction. Will post some pics when I get it and can remount the camera.

Any timeline for that update? Just Curious, As always.

I'm waiting to see how these "swanns" pan out.

It's looking like my best option for value plus Cotsco warranty.

Look forward to the update and see it's improvement on the E33.

You guys are so funny, oh no, I can't see a plate 70' away with a 5MP camera, haha. So you blame it on the camera, of course it can't do it, it's a $350 camera, so that's the reason. So here's a $1,319 camera from Axis, 5MP, same "watercolor effect", same can't read a license plate head on at 70' (no, I did not retouch the photo, did not blur anyone's plates). Better low light sensitivity, better camera overall, but heck, it better be for 4x the price. Do you really want me to show you what a 3MP top of the line Dahua can do because it's not even in the same league as ACTi or Axis, but I have those images to.

217484_1.jpg

You guys are NUTS for thinking your going to read the plate with that FOV....

ACTi emailed me the link to the new firmware while I was there but I didn't get it so I'll check back on Monday. If you look on my blog post of the e33, one person put this on and made before/after videos from his e33.

To do license plate recognition, you need a telephoto lens zoomed in and focused on the front or rear of the car as they pass a choke point. It's more than seeing a license plate in an overall picture. Look at demo videos on YouTube for various LPR products, you'll see that they mostly capture the front grill area maybe twice the size of the width of the bumper and from the ground up to maybe the hood line.

That doesn't mean I haven't pulled plates for law enforcement. I'm 2 for 2 so far for being able to provide a clean license plate, one day, one at night at their request but not from my driveway shots.

Bottom line being even a 5mp camera will not resolve a plate across the street in the above pics. Even when ACTi sent me the latest firmware a few week ago for my E33, I can make a stationary plate 45' away just fine. Movement or low light -forget it. Thinking perhaps send this one back, get a LPC for the narrow view capture and a Dahua 3mp for the cudesac view.

Bottom line being even a 5mp camera will not resolve a plate across the street in the above pics. Even when ACTi sent me the latest firmware a few week ago for my E33, I can make a stationary plate 45' away just fine. Movement or low light -forget it. Thinking perhaps send this one back, get a LPC for the narrow view capture and a Dahua 3mp for the cudesac view.

Hello,

as you mentioned being on a culdesac, I am also and have similar results with my 2 megapixel Dahua dome. I can get license plates up to 45 feet away (bottom of the driveway) but not beyond that (it does provide a perfect view of the entire culdesac though). My plan was to get a 2 or 3 megapixel variable Acti to supplement the Dahua and zoom into the entranceway to the culdesac, so I'm only focused on the two lanes coming in and out. While I most likely won't get plates at night, I thought I should be able to get them during the day. Are you implying the Acti won't work for that if there is motion? The LPCs seem a little too expensive for me to justify the cost.

Hello,

as you mentioned being on a culdesac, I am also and have similar results with my 2 megapixel Dahua dome. I can get license plates up to 45 feet away (bottom of the driveway) but not beyond that (it does provide a perfect view of the entire culdesac though). My plan was to get a 2 or 3 megapixel variable Acti to supplement the Dahua and zoom into the entranceway to the culdesac, so I'm only focused on the two lanes coming in and out. While I most likely won't get plates at night, I thought I should be able to get them during the day. Are you implying the Acti won't work for that if there is motion? The LPCs seem a little too expensive for me to justify the cost.

Yes, stationary I can get a read on a plate from 45-50' feet away easily. At night, again, proper IR angle, and no motion as I need to set the shutter low to prevent the noise this camera is known for (yes, even with the latest firmware which I received weeks back). I am moving it from the second story ledge to the eave over the garage door, have 2 additional IR illuminators coming this weekend, so we shall see if that allows me some flexibility with the shutter for motion capture.

Here is a sample: notice the front plate and side door lettering are easily resolved -at certain angles and lighting.

Edited by Guest

This is a 130 dollar 1.3mp Dahua mini dome. Thats right, it cost me the same and even less than most analog cameras!

Right click it and click view image.

218361_1.jpg

Please post some images with something moving including a night time shot.

Can someone please change the title subject of this post to night time or moving images megapixel cameras?

I just use the same video. When i want to know what it would look like at night i just shut off the lights in the room and it repay.

One of customers was asking for a cube cam for cashier booth, so I've made this two ACTi samples, with 2.8mm lens and 2.8~12mm lens, check it out.

drzIiHi_6o4

I know that video is too long (the ending), didn't noticed it when I was uploading this. So It has to be like that now

Dahua 2mp 3200s bullet camera Daytime

Dahua 2mp 3200s bullet camera nighttime

Queens, eh? Fehgeddaboudit!