rory

MegaPixel Cameras - Images and Demos

I do not have that camera any longer. I bought it to play around with, but sold it for an install I did. The customer I installed

it for, absolutely loves it.

New to the forum, so hi!

I recently wrote a few blog posts about the cameras I have, my tests and experience with them (including downloadable firmware collection, etc.). From what I have read in the forums, there isn't much known yet about the 5Mpix camera I use. So hopefully I don't offend anyone posting the links here so that people can watch the samples I have made!

Hopefully it can benefit people who are trying to decide on what camera to buy and to maybe buy something Chinese or not. I have also tried to list all the different variants I was able to find. There seem to be a lot of 5Mpix camera's out there which are using the same internals (TI DaVinci DM368 DSP) , thus also can use the same firmware! If your interested you can read the review here: http://blog.quindorian.org/2013/03/ipq1649x-1080p-outdoor-ip-camera-with-5.html

In a different post you can also find samples if IPScam cameras and one from dealextreme.

Also, I have posted a way of generating timelapse videos using any RTSP camera which doesn't have support for HTTP. It uses the MPEG4/H264 stream through VLC using GPU acceleration to lower the CPU load: http://blog.quindorian.org/2013/03/rtsp-to-jpeg-timelapse-script-using-vlc.html

wvcdUKGe3-8

Be sure to select 1080p or "Original" quality if you have an monitor capable of higher then 1080p.

If all this is a bit too much of a plug or linking is not allowed, I'll remove it ASAP, just wanting to share the information. I am not affiliated with anyone and am actually trying to create an info page about the hardware used in these cameras and which brands and models are using the same internals.

There are reviews on 5MP cameras, currently have the Axis P3367 setup but ISC West took priority but here's the ACTi E33. BTW, that image was provided to law enforcement as that silver car has been seen hanging around various streets for hours possibly casing homes with criminal intent.

216995_1.jpg

There are reviews on 5MP cameras, currently have the Axis P3367 setup but ISC West took priority but here's the ACTi E33. BTW, that image was provided to law enforcement as that silver car has been seen hanging around various streets for hours possibly casing homes with criminal intent.

Ah, I didn't mean "a" 5Mpix camera but specifically the one's my review is about. There seem to be a lot of Chinese manufacturers or shops which are re-branding these and you can't find too much info about them. Hence the review.

I saw some more pictures of the ACTi E33 recently and while decent the real image detail and resolution are a bit disappointing to me. Especially in the background there is a lot of compression or something going on. Maybe the lens is a bit too fuzzy for that many megapixels? I know they aren't that expensive for a brand camera, but still!

Did you blur the front plate of that 2nd generation Eclipse? It's a 1995-1999 model.

Or is that just the camera itself. Just curious. Was hoping it would make out something on the plate.

No, not blurred. You think reading plates would be easy, but at that angle, it's not visible, even with the 5MP P3367-VE mounted in the same location, same focal length it looks blurred. Even the car across the street when that's there and I have a clear view of the plate in perfect lighting you can't read the plate number.

I just wonder why after the driveway everything appears to be like a water color painting.

For the price, It would almost seem better to have two Dahuas, One wide, and one longer focal length to capture those plates/details on the street.

Would I be wrong?

Having one Cam wide angle like that photo, and another with say a 12mm ( Just guessing ) lens or so to capture just the street....

I don't know why but it just seems "Lacking detail" to me. Or am I completely naive?

How much do you have to spend to get that angle, but detail in the street.

No, not blurred. You think reading plates would be easy, but at that angle, it's not visible, even with the 5MP P3367-VE mounted in the same location, same focal length it looks blurred. Even the car across the street when that's there and I have a clear view of the plate in perfect lighting you can't read the plate number.

WOW! I'm actually a bit shocked a 5mp can't reproduce those numbers- especially the one parked directly across the street. The full size picture does indeed look smeared, almost like you have camera sway at that very moment. Is this a pic from a substream? Maybe water droplets from the rain. I mean, the plates looked intentionally blocked- not even a hint of an out of focus number. Something does not seem set right for a 5mp camera. I'm not expecting miracles but wow, that suprises me. My analog ptz can grab plates at those distances but I have to zoom in obviously. I always assumed HD, such as 5mp would give enough resolution to not only see plates at that type of distance, but be able to grab them on the move. Guess I was wrong! I wouldn't be surprised if that camera can yield better results than that pic indicates, be it a dome cleaning or adjusting some settings. If not, than I'm offically scaling back my MP expectations and it's now obvious- varifocals are still needed even with MP cameras.

WOW! I'm actually a bit shocked a 5mp can't reproduce those numbers- especially the one parked directly across the street. The full size picture does indeed look smeared, almost like you have camera sway at that very moment.

What surprise me that u guys are surprised

On given Hor field of view we have about 70 feet

Camera capturing hor 2592 pix

so 2592 :70=~37 pix/foot

but Lic plate is under angle so u have even less pix per foot

I am not even talking general poor images coming from camera (high compression, poor lenses)

that another story

Point is simple

we need about 70-75 and more pix/foot for Lic plates

216995_1.thumb.jpg.d69d2542c646dc7b3b0e91fba887ce62.jpg

I understand it's not going to be a $5k camera or hell, even a $2k camera. It's a $400, and for $400 I'll take it over any $400 analog with the same Field Of View.

I don't know why but it just seems like theres an issue with the camera or

something. Your Boats ID number on the back is even smeared like the "water Color Image Look"

and that's pretty close....

Out of all the 5MP or 3MP cams you've tested, is this right on par with IQ expected?

Just curious, I wouldn't deter from ip mp just because of this. There's no sub for pixels/res

I understand it's not going to be a $5k camera or hell, even a $2k camera. It's a $400, and for $400 I'll take it over any $400 analog with the same Field Of View.

I don't know why but it just seems like theres an issue with the camera or

something. Your Boats ID number on the back is even smeared like the "water Color Image Look"

and that's pretty close....

Out of all the 5MP or 3MP cams you've tested, is this right on par with IQ expected?

Just curious, I wouldn't deter from ip mp just because of this. There's no sub for pixels/res

And u should not deter from IP MP

For me Dahua create 5 MP image

but clarity not even half of 5 MP shot

poor product at great price

one of the main reason CCTV forum is obsessed

But, that's not an image from a dahua camera.

But, that's not an image from a dahua camera.

I see

Famous ACTI ?

I'm looking forward to the good sample photos/videos from those swann 1080p ( Rumors of being 3mp) cams from costco at 2 for 349....

Personally, Being on a budget I'd be better off with a set of those over a single $400 cam like this one

just for the simple fact of being able to cover more positions for a lower cost.... Value.

Shockwave: I think you would be much happier with those Swann 1080p cams at 2 for $349...

Perfect for say your Door Entry ways etc where the field of view is not SO wide.

Of course, I'm sure if you put this camera where it's covering a smaller area, or with a longer mm lens

it would be much better...

Hell... I had my Analog Box camera $160 700tvl covering a HUGE area in my video... One of those 1080p swanns

would perform so much better.... And at about the same cost.

Buellwinkle, Have you attempted getting ahold of some of the super high 10mp cams etc... for reviewing? If anything, Just for fun.

I would also like to see if anyone has any sample clips of the Dahua IPC-HDB3300 or IPC-HF3300/3500

Would be much appreciated, thanks!

Shockwave: I think you would be much happier with those Swann 1080p cams at 2 for $349...

Perfect for say your Door Entry ways etc where the field of view is not SO wide.

Nope. No way I will spend larger bucks on cameras with IR built in. I have a summer ahead, clearing webs away from my analog cameras with IR. No way that will ever be a part of a mega pixel solution when I redo my system.

Btw- speaking of dahua, beautiful picture from my ptz on a nice spring day. Analog....

And this is why even for analog, a ptz for plates is killer.

Sorry for the dahua analog interruption, but dahua doesn't always spell 'poor product'.

1699124830_dahuaptz-wide.jpg.bfe1afe37fbb5733df14823c1ef90ca5.jpg

345527504_dahualpr.jpg.1328d79dfce3f4bb777b08713fd2f2a7.jpg

You can disable the built in IR and use an external iluminator to fix your concern.

Sorry but that first snapshot in my humble opinion isn't good.. I can hardly make anything out with any real detail.

I mean yeah the car color and enough to figure out what model it is...

2nd pic is good, But it's a ptz. We can't compare a PTZ (even analog) to a ip mp that has a wide angle lens with a fov over 70-100ft.

Not trying to step on any toes, Just can't compare ptz's vs fixed wide fov cams. Analog or mp ip.

But, Maybe I missed it but I havn't really seen any 1080P cams with no IR for the same price ($175) with the same Image Quality ( IQ )

Also don't think I'm saying dahua is garbage... Hell I have nothing right now and wish I did.

Paying off debt before I pick up a new cctv system. Payed off two cards, one left.

Also payed one car off, And selling my other so that I have no payments aside from the mortgage. Priorities.

Until then I just bother you guys here on the forum. lol

I didn't say YOU said dahua is garbage. And the reason there isn't any car detail in the wide shot is because, well, cars aren't really showing much! I guess what it comes down to is, you can't just throw away basic principles just because it's an MP camera. It doesn't automatically equal excellence just because it's MP and more and more, the examples in this thread bare that out. Resolution will be greater, yes. But varifocals are still important for the proper fov, or at least the proper lens. IR or not is still very important to consider as well. You can't just throw away everything that applies to the best picture for ID just because it's an MP camera. That's what I see is gonna happen with the boxed packages if people aren't careful. They'll spend a lot more money filling out an eight channel system and besides the cameras having better resolution, they won't be much better off than a well installed analog system. And the hard drive too- you'll have only a week of storage or maybe even just days if you don't consider how much backup time you really want.

If the weather cooperates, this weekend I'll be installing an nvr with 2mp mini domes. I can't mention from who, perish the thought. But for what the person I'm installing it for wants and needs, it should be a great fit. I'll post plenty about it and the images from those cameras here.

You guys are so funny, oh no, I can't see a plate 70' away with a 5MP camera, haha. So you blame it on the camera, of course it can't do it, it's a $350 camera, so that's the reason. So here's a $1,319 camera from Axis, 5MP, same "watercolor effect", same can't read a license plate head on at 70' (no, I did not retouch the photo, did not blur anyone's plates). Better low light sensitivity, better camera overall, but heck, it better be for 4x the price. Do you really want me to show you what a 3MP top of the line Dahua can do because it's not even in the same league as ACTi or Axis, but I have those images to.

217484_1.jpg

BTW, this must be an Avigilon, see how they zoom in to get the reflection from 70' away of a license plate screw to catch the murder

198327_1.jpg