GramUK

Avtech 761 image quality

Another newbie here from the UK...(a gadget freak) hello...

Have had the AV761 500gb (SV-35) for 2 months and seem to be on top of setting up etc (all networked and remote viewing via internet is okay) - but just a little disapointed at recorded quality of images. I've 2x IR day/night camera's set up right now (3rd and 4th camera's on order) and are all 480Tv lines PAL.

Playing back recorded images locally (not via the internet) still the images are quite "blocky" . I've tried recording CIF and FRAME but both methods are poor. The frame MJpeg is just about reasonable but only if close to the camera. Is there any way to improve quality of recordings or I guess I'm stuck with this.

Camera's are great until they are converted to MJepg MPeg4 (recorded). I'm tempted to go back to VHS and auto switchers etc. or are there any recommendations for higher resolution recorder?

I thought Mpeg4 was a good format to record?? I'm sure my pioneer DVR on my TV is Mpeg4...

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Wife limiting my budget to < 500 gbpounds

Cheers,

Graeme

hmm...

Either you probably aren't getting a high resolution on all of your channels...or maybe a bad resolution across all channels..

But you said you can get CIF across all channels... maybe you should up it to 4CIF

But I have a feeling your problem is with the cabling... possibly too long of a run?

What type of cable are you using? and how long is the run?

Hi, thanks for the reply...

It may well be the cable / length - this is something that I really was not too confident about in the whole system - it's a combined AV / DC power cable supposedly 75 Ohm. Lengths are around 18 meters to each camera.

The cable is from an older B&W camera / VHS system I had a few years back but never used.

I'll go buy some good quality 75 ohm cable and put the DC right next to the camera (so there's no run it along the video cable) and see if that makes a difference too. As I say, I was expecting a little better quality, but I think you made up my mind for me to change that cable before going further.

Thanks for the pointer..... BTW - this is probably the most informative forum that I have ever visited on line... a wealth of information and friendly guys like yourself !

Thanks again, Graeme.

Hi, thanks for the reply...

It may well be the cable / length - this is something that I really was not too confident about in the whole system - it's a combined AV / DC power cable supposedly 75 Ohm. Lengths are around 18 meters to each camera.

The cable is from an older B&W camera / VHS system I had a few years back but never used.

I'll go buy some good quality 75 ohm cable and put the DC right next to the camera (so there's no run it along the video cable) and see if that makes a difference too. As I say, I was expecting a little better quality, but I think you made up my mind for me to change that cable before going further.

Thanks for the pointer..... BTW - this is probably the most informative forum that I have ever visited on line... a wealth of information and friendly guys like yourself !

Thanks again, Graeme.

Can you post a screenshot of the picture?

I havea TV cature card and I will often compare the live view of a camera with the playback. Do you have the ability to do that? That would give us a good idea of how much quality is lost to the compression.

Like the name. Spelled right, for once.

Scruit.....like the name !

I'm over in Germany working right now (hence the networking DVR) - but when I get back home I'll for sure be able to capture a few images for comparison. I'll also connect a new camera close to the DVR to see if that cable length theory is right.(If the kids leave me alone long enough!) - Anyways, The live images are actually real good - with plenty of definition etc. If I record the "live" image on my PC linked via my home network the images remain very good quality (not grainy or at all blocky)

If I let the DVR do the recording and play that back directly from the DVR on an LCD monitor (same used on PC) - then the blocks appear.

The comparison I could decribe is between Analogue TV and some low bandwidth "freeview" channels (i.e not "breaking up" but much more blocky due to the mpeg compression) so I'm sure it's the conversion. I made a point of getting the 500G Seagate SV-35 hard drive in the system (as recommended by many suppliers) and so I think the drive should not be the bottleneck.

Anyways, we'll see after a little further testing.

Seems like the dvr is just compressing it badly, so you get blocks, like cheaper dvr's

I have a ebay dvr from 150 usd, that will do that to

Ok, done all the tests - new camera 480Tv lines connected right next to the DVR. Tested all possible settings frame and CIF and what I'm getting is as good as it gets. Like mentioned - you gets what you pays for.

So - on the look out for a new DVR. I'll search this forum and see if there are any recommendations for high resolution recorders as this does not do what I expected it to do. Guess I'll be researching a little better this time instead of relying on manufacturers claims to "crystal clear recordings". But it has been a good exercise and opened me up to networking DVR possibilities.

Anyways, - Thanks to all that replied to this mailing.

Graeme.

Is the dvr h.264? You said it was blocky over the internet. You using avtech? Thats what i use for lowend dvrs (Low budget customers) They seem to work fine for me.

Yep - I'm a low budget DIY'er at the moment until I learn more of the systems available. I don't believe that it is H.264 - It's an AVtech 761 and even locally the image is quite blocky (with no internet connection). "Live" images are flawless (even over internet) - blocks only effect the playback.

I have one final thought - I note that all enabled channels record even if only one channel is activated by motion for example. In the Camera setup screen I select camera's 1 and 2 for record and have cam's 3 & 4 set to off at the moment until I install the other 2 cams. I thought that it would have made sense for only the triggered input / camera to record so as to maximize image processing. Is it normal for all 4x channels to record if enabled even if only one is triggered?

Again, I'm oversees so can't test with only one camera set to record to see if there is any change in the image quality.

same problem rubbish picture on play back and till now got no picture at the moment possible fault cif is c--p using this setting picture best is not much better picture on tv perfect or you use a standalone video recorder you get a better picture so its the dvr that is the problem day time recording looks blocky but by night the picture is blocky and you cant see out lines of me on dvr .put my cameras on my mates cctv and its nothing wrong with cams perfect .its a crap and cheap and no use if you want to catch someone nicking your car to pictures by night and day see and view how crap these are

349338946_dvr1.thumb.jpg.e7815a13ca0ea247468faf50388a80b4.jpg

That's not CIF it's FRAME (according to the bottom right of your screen)

Really, that's worse because you'd expect the images to be better.

Night-time images have lower contrast and larger areas of similar colors that are easier to compress in a blocky image. What happens if you light up that area, ie turn on a porch light or something?

There is a noticeable quality difference between my CPCam 507HC (AVTech 717) and the old 4ch 'cheapo' DVR - ie the old cheapo DVR is BETTER! But for regular daytime images it's fine.

I have motion lights near anything worth recording (I use the IR lights alone purely as a reassurance that nothing is happening). Maybe if you had a motion light next to your camera someone coming near the car would kick the motion light on on and give you a much better recorded image because of the better contrast in the picture?

all I can say don't buy one they are rubbish I would get a better picture with an old fashion camcorder its more like an analogue recorder because you cant even link it to a vga with out buying a bnc vga converter at another £34.00 considering they gave a good write up on these I am very disappointed in the build quality i paid £249 for this including the hd drive and i have no use for it i got a £34 micro camera i bought from aldis years ago out side and my security light i get a better picture than this

CCTV is a complex field. If you are not an expert then don't be surprised if you don't get it right at first. Heck, assuming that you can go out and buy entry-level hardware, and DIY a system together that will rival the quality of professionally installed hardware costing 10x as much... It doesn't work like that.

Sounds like you should just get a pro - you'll be happier with the results.

Hi Graeme,

This is Kevin from AVtech.

Please let me know if the problem you had is solved, or you are still having some problems with AV761.

Send me an email or PM, I will have our FAE to help you.

Rgds,

Kevin / AVtech

Another newbie here from the UK...(a gadget freak) hello...

Have had the AV761 500gb (SV-35) for 2 months and seem to be on top of setting up etc (all networked and remote viewing via internet is okay) - but just a little disapointed at recorded quality of images. I've 2x IR day/night camera's set up right now (3rd and 4th camera's on order) and are all 480Tv lines PAL.

Playing back recorded images locally (not via the internet) still the images are quite "blocky" . I've tried recording CIF and FRAME but both methods are poor. The frame MJpeg is just about reasonable but only if close to the camera. Is there any way to improve quality of recordings or I guess I'm stuck with this.

Camera's are great until they are converted to MJepg MPeg4 (recorded). I'm tempted to go back to VHS and auto switchers etc. or are there any recommendations for higher resolution recorder?

I thought Mpeg4 was a good format to record?? I'm sure my pioneer DVR on my TV is Mpeg4...

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Wife limiting my budget to < 500 gbpounds

Cheers,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

This is Kevin from AVtech.

Please let me know if the problem you had is solved, or you are still having some problems with AV761.

Send me an email or PM, I will have our FAE to help you.

Rgds,

Kevin / AVtech

Good since you are from AVTech......

Have a couple of question for you.

1. How come the DDNS Client of your AVC760, 761, CPD505, 507, 560, etc works inconsistantly ? Some of them don't even update when we check the severlog, and some update but failed, but some are ok. They are setup among different isp, different equipments. But even using the same equipments, exactly same setting, 1 DVR can update proprely, but the other one just failed.

I had asked this question before, and your colleagues sent me an email with instructions, and basically in the instructions, it's just teaching me how to set up the DDNS in my ROUTER, not the DVR. And when i asked, he just say use the router's ddns client instead of the dvr. Hard to explain to my client when in your box/manual stated support ddns, but we couldn't get it to work consistantly.

2. What's the recording matrix of AVC760/CPD-560 ? i.e. with 500GB harddisk, how long can it record ? In the manual, it stated Model 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 without specifying which model's is what. In another thread, we had tried to speculate which model's what, but i think it's better for you to tell us directly.

3. From this post, it can be assume you provide support for customer that bought your equipments. In that case, can we let our customer know that they can contact you directly for support ?

Finally...

from scorpions site...

The AVTech AVC 760, CPCam 560, and the Nubix 4BC is a model 3. This is the only one that cannot be backed up with a USB, it has to be backed up by the remote software.

Model 3 does not have the USB feature. Models 1,2, 4, and 5 do.

http://211.75.84.102/web/manu/760.pdf

AVC 761, and the CPD 561 is a model 4 MJPEG at frame, MPEG4 at CIF, 1 audio in, with IR.

http://211.75.84.102/web/manu/761.pdf

AVC 781, and CPD 501 is a model 2 MPEG4 at frame, MPEG4 at CIF, 2 audio in, no IR.

http://211.75.84.102/web/manu/781.pdf

AVC 782A, and CPD 502 is a model 1 MPEG4 at frame. Model 1 is the only one

with the CD back up, and it has 2 audio inputs.

Model 5 does not have the power/data bus, but it has 2 audio inputs, CD back

up, and it has IR.

http://211.75.84.102/web/manu/782.pdf

from scorpions site...

The AVTech AVC 760, CPCam 560, and the Nubix 4BC is a model 3. This is the only one that cannot be backed up with a USB, it has to be backed up by the remote software.

Model 3 does not have the USB feature. Models 1,2, 4, and 5 do.

http://211.75.84.102/web/manu/760.pdf

AVC 761, and the CPD 561 is a model 4 MJPEG at frame, MPEG4 at CIF, 1 audio in, with IR.

http://211.75.84.102/web/manu/761.pdf

AVC 781, and CPD 501 is a model 2 MPEG4 at frame, MPEG4 at CIF, 2 audio in, no IR.

http://211.75.84.102/web/manu/781.pdf

AVC 782A, and CPD 502 is a model 1 MPEG4 at frame. Model 1 is the only one

with the CD back up, and it has 2 audio inputs.

Model 5 does not have the power/data bus, but it has 2 audio inputs, CD back

up, and it has IR.

http://211.75.84.102/web/manu/782.pdf

Yes, i know. But as i said, that's from Scorpions site. And that's basically guesswork also. Since there's an AVTech guy here, won't he be in the best position to confirm once and for all which model is which ?

Daryl733 is correct. We put are heads together, and that list was the best that we could put together based on reading all of the manuals, and product specifications, and our hands on experience.

The list is guess work, and to the best of my ability I do believe it to be accurate.

I would love to have the list verified as being accurate, or to allow me to make any changes, or add new facts to the list.

I am glad the webpage is a source of information, and manuals in various languages for DIY help, and I would be the first to be embarrased if there was something listed that was inaccurate.

If anyone has other manuals in various languages not posted then I would be interested in posting them to the webpage.

If anyone has photos that should be on the webpage then I would be interested in posting them as well.

Thank you everyone who contributed, and made the webpage a success!

You'd done a great job. Am not saying information that you put there is inaccurate. It's just as i remembered in the previous threads, it's basically guesswork based on the features and specs of the dvr in order for us to match models to models.

It'll be great if someone form AVTech can just verified what we had tried to guess, as it's their product, their model, and their manual. The manual indicated Model 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 , but their SKU indicated AVC760, CPD-560, etc. We can put in intelligent guess, but at best, it's still a guess.

I'd previously emailed AVTech regarding the same issues, but never received any answer. So since their guys' here on the forum, and i am pretty sure a lot of us have the same queries, it'll be good if they can post here which model's refering to which product.

Also, as support cost is a major cost for us, would also like to direct a question to them regarding if we can direct customers who bought their product to them for support. It's only fair. Currently, we are not the only local agent who's carrying avtech's product. We had encounter customers who bought avtech's product from another reseller, and expect support from us. It's ridiculas. Since then, we had to screen phone customers to ensure that they are our customers in order to render them services and support. But by providing this extra services, it basically means an increase in cost, compared to other fly by night reseller who just sell and does not provide support to the product. Which customers does not take into consideration when purchasing equipments. So we are considering selling w/o support, and directing all supports issues to manufacturer, in order to lower cost, and charging extra for phone/email support.

Other equipments manufacturer like dlink, linksys has their own product hotlines. Reseller only need to sell, and supports are directed to them. But looking at the way AVTech's direct support is, we greatly doubt that they'll be able to provide front line support. They don't even have a support contact (email/phone) on their website. Only Sales contact.

Daryl733 is correct. We put are heads together, and that list was the best that we could put together based on reading all of the manuals, and product specifications, and our hands on experience.

The list is guess work, and to the best of my ability I do believe it to be accurate.

I would love to have the list verified as being accurate, or to allow me to make any changes, or add new facts to the list.

I am glad the webpage is a source of information, and manuals in various languages for DIY help, and I would be the first to be embarrased if there was something listed that was inaccurate.

If anyone has other manuals in various languages not posted then I would be interested in posting them to the webpage.

If anyone has photos that should be on the webpage then I would be interested in posting them as well.

Thank you everyone who contributed, and made the webpage a success!