zikronix

Missed the swann system at costco This Lorex is coming

I would bet it's the same fan, and there is an FAQ on the Lorex site about the fan noise being perfectly normal. Tells me they expect questions on it.

While I ordered 2 pairs of Swann cams before they took the offer down, I'm starting to think if they post a new setup with 4 cams + DVR I should go that route as I'd save a lot of money. Anyone else in the same boat?

$766 for 4 Swanns + ~$700 for a i7 PC... seems a hell of a lot cheaper to buy a package deal. My biggest concern is about the DVR software being as customizable as Blue Iris.

Thoughts?

Hey recordit...if you want to sell those Swanns, let me know bro.

$766 for 4 Swanns + ~$700 for a i7 PC... seems a hell of a lot cheaper to buy a package deal. My biggest concern is about the DVR software being as customizable as Blue Iris.

Thoughts?

It's definitely cheaper to run the dedicated NVR than to buy a PC, and there's no way it'll be as customizable or flexible as Blue Iris, or most other NVR software. In addition to the basic NVR software, you have the flexibility that comes with a PC - scripting, multiple types of remote access, all kinds of backup and archive options, etc.

You also get more stability, in general, on a dedicated box than on a PC. I typically reboot my PCs once a month to install various OS updates, and they'd probably run a good bit longer if I let them, but my DVR boxes used to run for years without issues, except the occasional hard drive replacement.

Also, PCs typically will consume more power than a dedicated box, but this will depend on the specific hardware.

One downside of many dedicated boxes is that you'll be more limited in what you can connect to them. If Lorex started selling re-branded Avigilon cameras at Walmart next month, you'd likely have better luck connecting them to a PC based NVR than a competitor's dedicated box.

If you're going to use the PC for 2-3 years, the incremental cost/month isn't that much, but it's all trade-offs.

I thought about building my own. But then it came into, support, stability, ease of use...at the same time i still might venture down that road.

I was looking at the specifications for the Swann NVR and the Lorex NVR and noticed that the Lorex will only record 4 cameras at 30fps and the rest at 15fps for a total of 180fps. The Swann NVR shows 30fps per channel for a total of 240fps. Am I looking at these numbers correctly?

Is the Lorex hardware made by the same people that make the Qsee hardware?

I'm also curious about the camera installation on the LAN instead of the private PoE network.

according to swann you can put cameras on the LAN...all though they havnt actually replied on how to do it. but in their pc software there in NIC 1 and NIC 2

My 4 Swann cameras are on their way, someone hurry up and order/review this so I can decide if I want to return (or sell) the Swanns for that all-in-one package or build out my own PC setup. Saving ~$700 sure sounds nice... but Blue Iris has some fantastic features.

I notice the lorex comes with an installed 2TB HD, Did the swann?

I also notice in the Night video on the lorex of the light water show, on the left side is a noticable reflection of whats happening on the right side.... Is that caused by the lens?

Looks pretty good though.

Also notice it has a few features, that IIRC weren't an option on the swann or was it the dahua?

•Mirror Hard Drive Recording

•Mirror recording requires

•Instant e-mail alerts with snap shot attachments of event and web link

I Don't see alarm inputs though....

Does the Lorex DVR send emails with still photo(s) and/or links to video? I really like the text functionality, does anyone know if you could sent a text via email address with it? I'd assume so, but you never know.

100' cables would be a nice over the 60'.

I am considering installing this Lorex system to give it a try. Two questions, anyone see the low temp rating on this camera anywhere? I need something that can work below 0 in winter. Also, up to considering this I thought it would be better to have live recording on motion to offsite ftp (or other protocol) server, and also send email/sms snapshots on motion detection as well as recording to sd card in camera. Does anyone worry that a thief may off with the nvr taking the evidence with them? Can this system send video off the local network? Can it send snapshots? And does it have any motion sensing functionality?

I notice the lorex comes with an installed 2TB HD, Did the swann?

I also notice in the Night video on the lorex of the light water show, on the left side is a noticable reflection of whats happening on the right side.... Is that caused by the lens?

Looks pretty good though.

Also notice it has a few features, that IIRC weren't an option on the swann or was it the dahua?

•Mirror Hard Drive Recording

•Mirror recording requires

•Instant e-mail alerts with snap shot attachments of event and web link

I Don't see alarm inputs though....

The swann can do all of these...im pretty sure it can do the mirror recording

I have the swann system (which has now been removed from the site) Ordered a lorex from costco today, I figure I will return one of them once I play around with them.

I can tell you the swann mobile app is crap, but the lorex netHD mobile software is pretty nice, and works with the swann NVR flawlessly.

Maybe it is just me but I feel like lorex is more likely to update/support their product as opposed to swann?

At any rate, I wil report back on which I decide to actually keep.

The manual for the lorez says ptz not supported, but the swann does. I wonder if they are just referring to what came with the package, or if its simply just no supported. The lorex and hikvision apps are identical. Like I said it would be interesing if the cameras arnt locked at 2.1Mp like the swann. When it releases im going to pick it up and check it out if i like it better than the swann and the support is there i might just return the swann

Lorex Tech Support is terrible - primarily due to the difficulty in reaching someone. They are NOT available for emails (like Swann is, and Swann replies well), and their hours are far more limited.

Does Lorex actually update their devices or is it another company like Qsee does with the oem company supplier?

I believe they do their own s/w updates, etc. They've sent me new firmware before, if that's what you mean.

I don't use the Swann app. I use the hikvision app which is identical to the lorex app, which the Swann app is forked from.

I'll keep the Swann they have been awesome support wise

I believe they do their own s/w updates, etc. They've sent me new firmware before, if that's what you mean.

Thanks, yes. I think with Qsee, they don't do their own software, so any fixes would take along time to get fixed, if ever.

Some things to think about if you have the swann and are considering the lorex. First some things we know.

COMMON:

The cameras appear to be the same

The interface of the DVR is similar

They both have loud fan noise

Carrier level port blocking for the mobile app is an issue (can be fixed by changing the RTSP port to something other than 554)

Both sold at Costco

Most features available on both NVR, Such as email on motion, etc

Currently cant use any other ip camera with either system

PROS SWANN:

Swann has a 3 year warranty and concierge support

24/7 Tech support via phone or email

Alarm Ports

Rumored 240FPS

Cameras can be flashed, used with third party apps and are available for purchase

Supports PTZ

Cameras, supposedly can be used on the lan side.

CONS SWANN:

Stock Mobile app blows (you can use the HikVision app which is awesome, its just like the lorex app)

60ft ethernet cables

Some cameras might have a soft right side.

Fan Noise

PROS LOREX:

50.00 cheaper than the swann was (I think)

Stock mobile app looks better (Direct rip of the HikVision app)

100 ft cables

Cameras might be a different batch and may NOT have the soft right side.

CONS LOREX:

Only a 2 Year warranty

No Alarm inputs or outputs

Doesnt support PTZ

No Extra cameras availaible (at the time of writing)

FAN Noise

120 FPS confirmed

Cameras may not be able to be used with 3rd party apps.

Edited by Guest