rory

MegaPixel Cameras - Images and Demos

Axis P3367-VE (click for full-resolution).

Here is a difficult shot, I think, for a camera. Night time, very little "scene lighting", people walking, and a car's headlights shining right into the lens of the camera. The camera looks 100x better during the day, but I figured I'd post the worst shot that I could so you guys could see. I don't recall the exact settings I am using on the camera at the moment, though.

One of my trouble-neighbors had a party a few weeks ago. The street fills up with cars of college kids (usually there are no cars on the street because we all have driveways and garages), who hang out along the street, drinking and being really loud, on OTHER PEOPLES property, after midnight, and disposing of their empty beer bottles where ever they see fit. I was watching my cameras this particular night and was on the fence about calling the cops, and saw them disposing of their empty beer bottles in my mailbox and drinking in my driveway (I dont know a single one of these people!!), at which point I called the cops. They had been partying for a couple of hours, and somehow ALL 20+ cars were gone by the time the cops showed up 10 minutes later, and I looked like the crazy one. Haha.

206492_1.jpg

Alpine0000, better than I would have thought for a 5MP camera. With external IR lighting, the noise reduction woldn't have to work as hard and you may have gotten better detail in their faces and the license plate.

Looks good. What does that camera cost? I have noticed that my Axis cameras do superbly in snowy situations due to all of the extra reflected light. They are reluctant to switch into night time mode.

What are the exposure and gain settings?

3MP Avigilon WDR Dome in -22c weather. Luminance is from a street light ~30' south of the pickup.

207986_1.png

What are the exposure and gain settings?

3MP Avigilon WDR Dome in -22c weather. Luminance is from a street light ~30' south of the pickup.

207986_1.png

Exposure is 1/30s and max gain is 10db. Truth be told, I haven't had the time to really tune the camera for the best night time shot possible. I just made an arbitrary decision, based on experience on other sites with the H3 gen cameras, to go with that number.

Sorry we don't have snow at the moment, but here's some snapshots from a Dahua IPC-HFW3300C. This is a 3 MP bullet. So you'll have to click on the picture, then click on the 4 arrows in the lower right corner to view the full sized image.

Daytime

208353_1.jpg

Nightime

208353_2.jpg

Sorry we don't have snow at the moment, but here's some snapshots from a Dahua IPC-HFW3300C. This is a 3 MP bullet. So you'll have to click on the picture, then click on the 4 arrows in the lower right corner to view the full sized image.

Why your pix EXIF info show this ?

Orientation - Top left

XResolution - 72.00

YResolution - 72.00

ResolutionUnit - Inch

Software - Adobe Photoshop CS4 Windows

DateTime - 2012:12:28 17:29:44

ExifOffset - 164

ColorSpace - sRGB

ExifImageWidth - 2048

ExifImageHeight - 1536

Thumbnail: -

Compression - 6 (JPG)

XResolution - 72

YResolution - 72

ResolutionUnit - Inch

JpegIFOffset - 302

JpegIFByteCount - 7259

Because the camera puts out an uncompressed BMP file when click the snapshot button which is huge (12 MB), I open it up in Photoshop and save it as JPEG, no other processing. I save it with a compression factor of 8 on Photoshop which makes it about 400-500 KB.

Here's the actual BMP file in Dropbox on the link if you want to see for yourself, straight from the camera. Let me know if you think my compression is too agressive and making the camera look bad, maybe I should chose a higher quality on Photoshop - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/29612389/20121228_103756.bmp

Because the camera puts out an uncompressed BMP file when click the snapshot button which is huge (12 MB), I open it up in Photoshop and save it as JPEG, no other processing. I save it with a compression factor of 8 on Photoshop which makes it about 400-500 KB.

Here's the actual BMP file in Dropbox on the link if you want to see for yourself, straight from the camera. Let me know if you think my compression is too agressive and making the camera look bad, maybe I should chose a higher quality on Photoshop - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/29612389/20121228_103756.bmp

Hmm, I will have to confirm with other Dahua owners

kinda hard to believe that camera puts out uncompressed BMP and no Jpeg option

what kinda mickey mouse way of doing ...

Hmm, I will have to confirm with other Dahua owners

kinda hard to believe that camera puts out uncompressed BMP and no Jpeg option

what kinda mickey mouse way of doing ...

I know Mickey Mouse, I live by Disneyland, my kids have had annual passes for most of their lives and I can tell you, Dahua is no Mickey Mouse. Don't be dissing my home boy.

If you can find how to take snapshots from their web interface and have it automatically saved as JPEG, that would save me a bunch of time when I review their cameras. I have a similar problem with Axis, saves it in PNG format, so I resave those as JPEG to save space. Other brands like Panasonic, Mobotix, IQEye, ACTi save in JPEG format.

It would be nice to have two options but, if someone wants to save a snapshot, I think it's a good thing to have the uncompressed highest quality pic with the lowest loss available for evidence. Seems to me that something that ONLY output a lossy jpeg image just to make posting pix to the 'net easier would be ever so slightly catering to the Mickey Mouse crowd? Jpegs are good for many things, but each generation always loses quality no matter what the compression is set to. Even a first generation jpeg isn't as good, although I do agree with you that dealing with a quality raw image sometimes has sacrifices like manual jpeg compression for when having the best isn't as important.

If you can find how to take snapshots from their web interface and have it automatically saved as JPEG, that would save me a bunch of time when I review their cameras. I have a similar problem with Axis, saves it in PNG format, so I resave those as JPEG to save space. Other brands like Panasonic, Mobotix, IQEye, ACTi save in JPEG format.

hmmm Sounds like your spending a little to much time with Mickey Mouse.... I just fired up one of my Axis cameras logged into the web interface and saved a snap shot as a jpeg.

FYI configuring the cameras from the web interface is a over rated and a waste of time.

208381_1.jpg

An uncompressed snapshot converted to JPEG may be more representative of the compressed recorded video. Still, way more accurate than someone, won't mention his name, who posts a picture from his cell phone of a camera image on a TV

As for Axis, could be different firmware levels. When I reviewed the Q6035-E, it spit out png files, but that camera has long since died.

An uncompressed snapshot converted to JPEG may be more representative of the compressed recorded video. Still, way more accurate than someone, won't mention his name, who posts a picture from his cell phone of a camera image on a TV

As for Axis, could be different firmware levels. When I reviewed the Q6035-E, it spit out png files, but that camera has long since died.

I posted a image from my cell phones camera because that was the quickest way to get an image at the time. I didn't have my laptop or a jump drive. You like using Photoshop

FYI every Axis camera I have used since 2007 I have been able to export a JPEG from the web interface even the 233d PTZ (way older then the Q6035-E) camera that I have can export in JPEG. Hmmmmm